Viewing 8 posts
    Threads: 5

Thumbs up for updating ui design – at last it is not annoying xp style like and at last it is consistent with the current windows 8/10 design style + the dark theme is really dark at last too – no more retina burning white background, which is surely a great addition.

One thing what I don’t like – it seems what it cannot read custom folder icons anymore (previous ones could) which is quite needed for some people. I for instance tend to make custom icons for most of the general 3d library object type folders like
      Custom icons for 3d library
      and further down for more specific categories inside of those – it greatly speeds up searching and managing of models when you memorize those categories not just by name but as a glyph and a color as well, or at least it greatly helps me )) So if you can, please make Project Manager to be able to read those icons again. 

Threads: 1056

Ok – I’m will add to preferences the option “Use system icons”.

I’m glad that you like the new version.
      Version 2.5.34 is pre-release version.
      Today i updated it to 2.50.40

That a list of changes for the version 2.5

1. Redesign the interface.
      2. Increase the size of thumbnails up to 512px
      3. Adds support to different screen dpi settings.
      4. Displays more information about files.
      5. Keeps original names for objects after merging.
      6. Fixes a bug when 3ds Max freezes when interactive render materials.
      7. Fixes a lot of bugs and issues with interface.

3ds Max Browser

1 good

2 no less good ) – just one thing – could you make the file extension’s overlay icon bigger – I would suggest 2x times bigger – it would greatly help when one manually renames preview renders to match the max file’s names 

3 good – not for me at this moment but I’m sure people using 4k displays will appreciate that

4 needs some testing – don’t have any opinion yet

5 – now here’s a catch, it is useful but not in all cases – for example, I tend to name files as they should be and the previous behavior when imported models had their group name automatically taken from file’s name suited me more than well – for now, it leaves original ones but the problem is, at least in 3ddd models case – people doing those often don’t give a damn about proper object naming thus the group’s names often result to be called group 01 or something like that – I think there’s a need for some sort of check tick to be made to allow both modes to coexist and for a user to choose which is more appropriate at a particular case. 

+ there’s another suggestion on naming – it would be very handy if PM could automatically rename (if the user wishes sopresses some button which would enable that) not only imported group’s name but objects, lights and materials which that file contains as well based on that dragged-in 3ds max’s file’s name which could be used as a prefix which could be added before the already present names during import/merge. That would be totally awesome when importing something into an already densely populated scenes where names like box 01-9999 are already quite common not to say materials named default 01-9999 which often results in quite a messy situation, same goes for the lights as well. For now, I merge those models into a different scene and then manually rename those using this http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/interactive-universal-renamer handy tool and then merge those into the main scene which works well but takes way more time than it could if PM could handle that automatically. The resulting names for objects etc could look like Prefix(merged max file’s name)(space)original object’s, material’s, light’s name – it still would look quite messy with all those generic names after prefix but would surely beat thousands of box00001,default00001,coronalight0001’s in the scene and would make managing those scenes, well, a little more manageable )

+ there’s another little one on the naming too – it would be great if PM could select only file’s name without selecting the extensions too during manual file naming inside it – sort of like Total Commander does – there been already a couple of times when I accidentally renamed files eliminating extension – not a big thing but could make life a little easier ) + this Rename asset file it really is quite hard to see and edit

Another wish for UI enhancements would be – some buttons for render thumbnail + it’s settings and a renderer’s selection dropdown menu which could be placed here Rename asset file – it would speed up doing manual thumbnail rendering quite a bit and dropdown renderer selector would help a lot when there are some different renderers prepared models in there. Maybe that selector dropdown wouldn’t be necessary if PM could auto-detect the model’s files active renderer and auto-choose appropriate renderer + preset according to that but not sure if that’s possible, perhaps that function is present already except for it didn’t work right for me once. 

And here goes something totally unrelated to UI design yet it been nagging me for quite some time and I didn’t want to create another thread specifically for that. I hope that print-screen explains what I mean – If not, I will try to explain it more precisely in a separate post next time.   
      Ies photometric files

5 (renaming) – The last version supports to postrMerge callback.
      In the script “presetsPostFileMerge Example.ms” you can see how to assign custom name for objects merged with Project Manager.

Bug with placing edit texbox is fixing – thanks for feedback.

Another wish for UI enhancements would be – some buttons for render thumbnail….

You right – later i move some commands from menu to toolbar.

Maybe that selector dropdown wouldn’t be necessary if PM could autodetect model’sfiles active renderer and auto-choose appropriate renderer + preset according to that but not sure if that’s possible…

Project Manager always supports to auto-detect compitible renderer.

And IES:
      Thank you – it’s very interesting remarks.
      So i will read more about IES lights and try implement of your wishes.
      P.S. It’s so difficult to read text from image. ))

Hi, glad you liked my suggestions on .ies importingmanaging and sorry for hard to read text – wanted to annotate that in a more understandable manner but ended up with that ) Anyway, if something like I described could be implemented it could speed up working with photometrics tremendously – same goes for both .ies’s  and .ldt’s latter, for some strange reason, are currently not supported by Corona (at least for now one needs to convert those to ies using something like this https://sourceforge.net/projects/qlumedit/ ), but are supported by vray if memory serves me well.

about: 5 (renaming) – The last version supports to postrMerge callback.
      In the script “presetsPostFileMerge Example.ms” you can see how to assign custom name for objects merged with Project Manager.

well I cannot find PostFileMerge Example.ms in c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax2017 – 64bit\ENU\scripts\TrackScripts\ProjectManager\presets folder all I see there are these – still I’m not sure if it would help me as I’m pretty stupid when things come to scripting, even if it’s some basic stuff )) 
      Project Manager API

about: Project Manager always supports to auto-detect compitible renderer.

Hmm it detects vray and scanline allright, but cannot detect Corona – maybe that’s because I use daily builds and it has something to do with P.M. inability to detect those as the versions of the same renderer –
       detect renderer version
       idk what it is but for now I need to select Corona as default thumbnail preview renderer to be able to render those – in my case it does not auto-detect it at all, thus that renderer selection dropdown was thought of ) Maybe there are some better way to make P.M to auto-detect Corona – perhaps it’s devs changed something in how Corona is detected by 3ds max in later versions, well, they tend to change a lot of things along the way ))  

well I cannot find PostFileMerge Example.ms…

Please check if you really updated to version 2.50.50

Also you can try check this directory “C:\Users\<USERNAME>AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\20XXX\ENU“.

about: Project Manager always supports to auto-detect compitible renderer.

Hmm it detects vray and scanline allright, but cannot detect Corona – maybe that’s because I use daily builds and…

Information what showing about file is read from file. No any magic – Corona or 3ds Max can write incorrect information.
      But this used only for displaying.
      For finding compatible renderer i use material.
      But today i check and see what method doesn’t work for corona.
      Corona material - compatible renderers
      Of course this is a corona’s bug, but i will fix it. )))
      Thanks for your note.

For finding compatible renderer i use material.
      But today i check and see what method doesn’t work for corona.
      Corona material - compatible renderers
      Of course this is a corona’s bug, but i will fix it. )))
      Thanks for your note.  

Project Manager updated to version 2.50.51.
      Auto detecting the Corona as compatible renderer is fixed.

Yep, I was using 2.50.40 so what’s why PostFileMerge Example.ms wasn’t there and now after updating to 2.50.51 it is there – it’s just that P.M it doesn’t warn me about the post 2.50.** updates anymore and I missed that version – may be something is wrong with my firewall config as I’m still in the process of reconfiguring new windows install after previous one died so there are still some things what are behaving not as I expect them too or maybe that’s just because post 2.50.** builds are betaalpha and that behavior is intentional.

Well, later, gotta try to figure out how to make that script which could auto-rename objects and materials the way I want it to, still I’m not sure if I’ll figure it out cause as wrote before I’m quite stupid when it comes to scripting – being architect, interior designer and cg artist at the same time has it’s boons but can cause one’s knowledge and concentration to be quite scatteredfragmented and not too deep in each of the subjects ))

P.M. 2.50.51’s thumbnail renderer now auto-detects new Corona’s versions as it should – that probably was some change in materials class on Corona’s part or something like that, at least I remember reading something about that on it’s forum – just didn’t know what P.M. uses materials to detect appropriate renderer so the two notions just didn’t stick together – well I surely needed to report that earlier, that would have saved me quite a lot of time.

Thanks for quick responses and keep up the good work.

Ahh, yes, system folder icons work too now – thanks for that too.

Viewing 8 posts

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.